Standard Cobalt Dichloride Free Humidity Indicator Cards (HIC’s) are used to determine when products have been exposed to moisture and humidity above recommended storage levels. They are a low-cost method of indicating humidity conditions inside a moisture barrier bag after vacuum packing. Each Humidity Indicator Card is printed with moisture sensitive spots, which respond to various levels of humidity with a visible colour change from blue to pink. The humidity inside dry packed moisture barrier bags can be monitored by including a humidity indicator card inside. When the bag is opened, the card can be examined for proper dryness inside the bag. This indicates that the barrier bag and the desiccants have functioned correctly.
In order to constantly verify that dry packaging methods are not compromised during storage and transport of products, Humidity Indicator Cards allow users along the supply chain to monitor the packages conditions. The cards are reversible and change as conditions change in the packing environment, allowing users to monitor the conditions of product packaging. The indicator spots on the HICs change colour from blue to pink as humidity increases and from pink to blue as humidity decreases.
Humidity Indicator Cards generally range from one spot to six spot cards. Our Standard Humidity Indicator Cards and Cobalt Dichloride Free Humidity Indicator Cards are available in three spot, four spot and six spot. Cartons have a batch number for QA traceability. Can quantity could vary.
Cobalt Dichloride Free
Cobalt dichloride is a chemical that changes colour when exposed to changing storage levels of moisture and is commonly used in HIC’s for that purpose. Cobalt dichloride is a chemical regulated under European Chemical Bureau (ECB) REACH and has been identified as a substance of concern for the environment and for that reason Cobalt Dichloride Free HIC’s provide electronic and semiconductor manufacturers with an IPC/JEDEC J-STD-0.33 compliant humidity card that is free of Cobalt Dichloride and complies with evolving EU and WEEE directives regarding hazardous substances.
- Humidity indicators are used to quickly detect moisture and humidity levels in packaging (inc. moisture and metallised barrier bags)
- The composition is composed of cobalt dichloride free on cardboard
- Colours change on the card to indicate RH levels inside packaging
- Can be vacuumed sealed
- Cards are reversible
- Early identification prevents damaged items from entering production
- Identify and/or monitor humidity levels prior to opening inner contents
- Humidity Indicator Cards conform to IPC/JEDEC 033 standard and IEC 61340-5-1 specifications
- Cobalt Dichloride Free Cards meet RoHS, REACH, CE and WEEE directive regarding hazardous substances
- Material: Blotting paper, free of cobalt-dichloride (CoCl2)
- Water Reactive: Moisture will cause the indicating area to change colour
- Accuracy: Based on ambient temperature of 75°F
- Tolerance: Approx. 2.5% for each 10°F away from 75°F
- Card Size: 3 spot: 5cm x 7.5cm 4 spot: 7.5cm x 3.5cm 6 spot: 10.5cm x 3.5cm
- Standards: Complies with IPC/JEDEC J-STD-033
- Packing: 3 spot: 125 cards per can 4 spot: 100 cards per can 6 spot: 200 cards per can
Do not keep open for a long period of time, immediately after each withdrawal, the containers should be tightly resealed. Cards should be used immediately. The highest indicating spot should be blue when the can is initially opened.
- Store in their original containers with desiccant where possible. Containers should be kept sealed.
- Replace desiccant bag after three openings of the sealed container.
- Store in a cool, dry area away from moisture.
- Keep Humidity Indicator Card Spots reversible by placing them in a sealed container with sufficient desiccant for 48 hours, the pink spot will turn to blue.
- Avoid chemicals, water (for quality) and fire (for safety).
- Discard cards if indicating colours overrun black circles.
|3 Spot||4 Spot||6 Spot|
| 5, 10, 60% RH
125 cards per can
|10, 20, 30, 40% RH
100 cards per can
|10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60% RH
200 cards per can
View our full range of ESD packaging and bags.